The other day, we had a request from a viewer for Jeera Alu and we both could have sworn it was there on the website! We searched for it in vain and realized we have not made it for ShowMeTheCurry.com yet! Sacrilege, Shame on our part….so without further adieu, here it is!
Jira Aloo ki Subzi is by far the most common and yet, one of the most loved side dishes in any North Indian household! Not only is it easy to make but is so simple and delicious and goes so well with so many of the popular combinations.
It is a perfect side-dish with Kadhi-chawal, Rajma-chawal, Daals-chawal and many more. The earthy flavor of the Cumin Seeds in the seasoning and then added to that, another level of flavor when added to the dish in powdered form, gives an additional depth and making that Cumin Flavor just shine.
A lot of households do not add Turmeric or Red Chilis to the dish to keep it even more simple. When we make this subzi with Kadhi, I do not add Haldi or Red Chili Powder so the colors do not blend with the Kadhi but when we make it with Chapatis or Rajma, we love to add that splash of color that the turmeric gives to the potatoes and compliments the color of the Rajma and Rice on the plate. Having said that, there are no rules, just cook with love and these Jira Aloo Subzi will be your favorite too!
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Potatoes – 2 lb
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Lime Juice – 1 Tbsp or to taste
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1″ pc julienned
Green Chilis – to taste, slit
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8th tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder) – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Kashmiri Mirchi – 1 tsp
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Wash the Potatoes.
2. Add Water to the Electric Pressure Cooker and place a rack.
3. Place the Potatoes on the rack and close lid and seal the vent.
4. Manual 6 min and then Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
5. Once safe to open, remove the potatoes and peel them.
6. Cube the potatoes and while still hot, mix in the Salt and Lime Juice.
7. Keep aside till ready to use.
8. In a wok style pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
9. Once the Oil is hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
10. Add in the Green Chilies and the Ginger.
11. Cook for 30 seconds.
12. Lower the heat and add in balance of spices – Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder and Kashmiri Mirchi.
13. Mix and cook for 30 seconds and then add in the Potatoes.
14. Mix well and then increase the heat to a medium again.
15. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
16. Stir in between till the Potatoes are heated through and there is a bit of caramelization.
17. Garnish with chopped Cilantro and serve hot.
1. Boil Potatoes in Pressure Cooker – 1 whistle and then allow the pressure to release naturally.
2. Boil Potatoes on Stove-top – 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
#JiraAloo #JeeraAloo #JeeraAluSubzi
how to make jeera aloo, jira alu ki subzi, simple jira aloo subji, simple potato side dish, aloo-puri wale aloo, sukhe sloo ki subzi,