We love the fact that Eggplants cook fast and are a nutrient dense flowers (yes, they are flowers, even though we know of them as vegetable)! They are great low carb, high fiber and packed with a lot of vitamins and antioxidants.
Achaari Baingan is one of the easiest and the yummiest eggplant dishes one can make and if you are not a fan of Eggplants, this is one recipe that will convert you and bring you over to the brighter side. The spices that go into this Brinjal dish are same as the ones that go into pickles and even though they are just a few, they are potent and every one of them is very important and plays a vital role in enhancing the flavors. Try this quick, easy Aubergine/ Eggplant/Brinjal dish and honestly, you will be happy with yourself.
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Eggplant – 4 long Chinese style, diced (approx 2 lbs)
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Kalonji (Onion Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Saunf (Fennel Seeds) – 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Methi (Fenugreek Seeds) – 1/8 tsp
Hing (Asafoetida) – 1/4 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric Powder) – 1/2 tsp
Ginger– 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Tomatoes – 3 medium, diced (approx 14 oz)
Salt – to taste
Chili powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Green Chilies – to taste, chopped
Cilantro – few springs, chopped (for garnishing)
1. Wash and cube the Eggplants and keep in a bowl of Water to avoid discoloring.
2. Heat Oil in a wok (Kadai) on medium heat.
3. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to start popping.
4. Add in all the other seeds – Onion, Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds
5. Cook for a few seconds till the seeds get a little golden color.
6. Add Asafoetida and Turmeric Powder, mix in Oil.
7. Next add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilis, cook for 30 seconds.
8. Add Tomatoes (and a little Salt) and cook covered, stirring frequently, till the tomatoes get soft and look cooked.
9. Add Chili Powder.
10. Drain the diced Eggplant and add into the skillet.
11. Mix well. Cook covered on medium heat till Eggplant is tender. Stirring occasionally.
12. Be careful not to overcook.
13. Garnish with Cilantro and serve with roti or chapati.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
#Aubergine #Eggplant #Brinjal #Baingan
How to make Eggplant in exotic spices, pickles eggplant recipe, quick and easy baingan recipe, low carb baingan dish, healthy eggplant recipes,