Restaurant style food is amazing from time to time, but on most days, we crave simple, comforting home style cooking. Lauki (aka doodhi, bottle gourd, ghiya) is one of those vegetables that we rarely find on restaurant menus. From the squash family, lauki is full of fiber and nutrients. Due to its high water content, its easy to overcook dudhi, resulting in an unrecognizable mush. This easy vegetarian (vegan) lauki ka bharta recipe prevents that texture problem because we shred the doodhi first. Even through the cooking process, the shreds remain visible and the texture comes through. Its time for some simple home cooking starting with this delicious Lauki Bharta recipe.
Scroll down for detailed video recipe.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Lauki/Doodhi/Bottle Gourd – 1 pound, peeled and shredded
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1/2 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – to taste, minced
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp (Lemon/Lime juice can be substituted after cooking)
Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Cilantro – for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a pan on medium heat.
2. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
3. Add Asafoetida and Turmeric Powder to the oil.
4. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Mix and cook for 30 secs.
5. Add Onion and a little Salt and cook until onions are translucent (approx 2-3 mins).
6. Add Tomatoes, mix and cook for 3 to 4 mins or until tomatoes soften.
7. Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder, Dry Mango Powder and Salt. Mix well. Cook 30 secs.
8. Add shredded Lauki and Green Peas and mix well.
9. Cover and cook until Lauki is tender, approx 10 mins while stirring in between (do not overcook to retain texture).
10. Garnish with Cilantro and serve with roti or chapati.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make lauki ka bharta, doodhi, dudhi, ghiya, squash recipes, bottle gourd, opo squash, easy Indian home cooking, vegetarian and vegan recipes, everyday Indian recipes, fiber rich vegetables.