We just love Cabbage, as it is the unsung hero in our kitchens! Why? Well, for starters, it has a long shelf-life in the fridge and we use it when all other vegetables are finished! The other reason is that it is a vegetable that cooks fast, so it’s great to have on hand when you have little time to prepare a meal. Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be backed, steamed, sautéed and boiled AND last but not the least, it is a cruciferous vegetable that is packed with vitamins from A all the way to Z…phew!
This Cabbage Poriyal Dish is from South India and again, like a lot of other dishes from there, there is classic use of Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil and Fresh Shredded Coconut. We love the simplicity of this dish with minimal spices and the true flavors of the Cabbage shining. Enjoy this Bandh Gobi Subzi as a side with Rice and Dal or Curries or enjoy it with some hot Chapatis or Rotis.
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cabbage – 3 lb
Oil – 2 Tbsp (Coconut Oil preferred)
Dry Red Chilli – 1 or to taste
Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8th tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Green chili – to taste
Salt – to taste
Fresh shredded coconut – 2 Tbsp or to taste
1. Chop the Cabbage fine either with a knife or in a food processor.
2. Heat Oil on a medium flame in a non-stick pan (similar to a wok).
3. Break a Dry Red Chili into the Oil.
4. Once the Oil is hot, add Mustard Seeds and cover for a few seconds to let them sputter.
5. Add Chana Dal and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add in Urad Dal, cook for a minute.
7. Add Asafoetida, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Ginger, and Green Chili. Mix.
8. Add Cabbage and mix well.
9. Allow it to cook, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
10. Add Salt to taste and mix well.
11. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh grated coconut and cilantro.
12. Serve hot.
1. To save time, use a food processor to shred the cabbage.
2. Cook cabbage uncovered and add salt only in the end or the cabbage will become soggy.
3. Try adding green peas or shredded carrots along with the cabbage for a change.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
#CabbagePoriyal #BandhGobiSubzi #VeganRecipe #VegetarianRecipe
How to make Cabbage Subzi, Cabbage Indian Style, Bandh Gobi Subzee, Easy Cabbage Dish, Simple Cabbage side dish, Indian Style Cabbage, Sautéed Cabbage Recipe