Radish / Daikon / Mooli, has an amazingly long shelf-life and we figured this would be a great recipe to add to our collection during these days. In this Rashish and Collard Greens Subzi, what we love is the simplicity of the dish and yet, allowing the Radish and the Greens to shine and bring out their true flavors. It’s a quick dish to make and very versatile. Enjoy this very rustic dish that will have you craving for more.
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Daikon / Radish / Mooli – 1 lb, washed, peeled and cubed
Collard Greens (or any greens) – 1/2 lb, washed, thick stalk removed and thinly sliced
Ghee / Oil – 1 Tablespoon
Dry Red Chili – 1
Cumin Seeds / Jira – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida / Hing – 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder / Haldi – 1/4 teaspoon
Onion – 1/2 medium, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Minced Ginger – 1 Tablespoon
Minced Garlic – 1 Tablespoon
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
Red Chili Powder – to taste
1. Prep the Radish and the Greens.
2. In a skillet, heat Oil/Ghee on medium heat.
3. Add in the Dry Red Chili and allow the Oil to heat up.
4. Add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
5. Add in the Asafoetida and the Turmeric Powder. Mix.
6. Add in the Onions and sprinkle a bit of Salt to help the Onions cook faster.
7. Cook for a minute till the Onions turn translucent.
8. Add in the Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies and cook for another minute.
9. Add in the Tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
10. Add in the Radish and a bit of Salt. Mix well.
11. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, till the Radish soften up.
12. Uncover and add in the Greens.
13. Mix in well allow the Greens to wilt.
14. Check Salt and add if needed.
15. Add Red Chili Powder.
16. Reduce the flame to a medium low and allow the Greens to cook.
17. Serve hot with Chapatis, Parathas or Rice.
Other Greens that can be substituted for the Collard Greens are Kale, Amarnth leaves, Spinach, etc.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media: