Sometimes there’s an easy way to do things and then there’s always the hard way. When time is precious and you want a healthy dessert option, try this quick and easy Quinoa Kheer recipe. Instead of the typical Rice Kheer, Quinoa, which is high in protein and nutrients, offers a healthier alternative. Your family and friends will think you spent the entire day making this delicious, creamy (and healthy) delight!
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Ghee – 1 Tbsp (Coconut Oil can be substituted for vegan option)
Sliced Almonds – 1 Tbsp
Golden Raisins – 1 Tbsp
Quinoa – 1/4 cup, rinsed well and drained
Water – 1/2 cup
Evaporated Milk – 12 oz can (Coconut Milk can be substituted for vegan option)
Sugar – 1/4 cup or to taste
Saffron – few strands
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Pistachios – 1 Tbsp, chopped
1. Heat Ghee in a pressure cooker on medium flame.
2. Once the Ghee is hot, add Sliced Almonds and Golden Raisins. Saute for 30-45 secs until raisins plump up.
3. Remove the almonds and raisins from the pressure cooker, leaving the Ghee there.
4. In the same Ghee, add rinsed and drained Quinoa and saute until moisture evaporates and Quinoa gets a little toasty.
5. Add Water, mix well, close pressure cooker and cook for 1 whistle. Turn off the stove and let the pressure release naturally.
6. Once pressure is gone, open the pressure cooker and add Evaporated Milk and bring to a boil.
7. Add Sugar and allow it to melt.
8. Reduce flame to low and continue to cook until desired consistency is reached, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
9. Add Cardamom Powder, sauteed Almonds/Raisins and Pistachios.
10. Serve hot or cold.
1. If serving Quinoa Kheer cold, keep the consistency more liquid as it will thicken upon cooling.
2. For Instant Pot, cook the quinoa for 1 minute on manual pressure setting, followed by quick release. Follow all other steps.
3. For stove top method, bring quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Follow all other steps.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make quinoa kheer, Indian dessert recipes, quick dessert options, healthy Indian recipes, quinoa recipes, rice kheer, vegetarian, vegan, easy kheer.