If you’re running out of interesting vegetables to try out, Turnips (also known as Shalgam) just may be your next great pick! Often overlooked in the vegetable aisle, Turnips are loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals and low in calories and carbs. Feel free to enjoy this root vegetable curry with chapatis or rotis or add a little extra water for a great curry to have with rice. Try this delicious Shalgam Curry and feel full and satisfied without the guilt.
#turnips #shalgamcurry #turnipcurry
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins (less if using a pressure cooker or Instant Pot)
Turnips – 1 1/2 lbs (washed, peeled and cubed)
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Tomatoes – 3, pureed
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Kashmiri Chili Powder or Paprika – 1 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup plus 2 cups (or more for desired consistency)
Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Tbsp
Dried Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Cilantro – few sprigs for garnishing
1. In a medium sized pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
2. Once Oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
3. Add Asafoetida and Turmeric Powder. Mix.
4. Add Onions and a little Salt. Mix and cook until Onions are translucent.
5. Add Ginger and Garlic. Mix and cook for approx 5 minutes.
6. Add Tomatoes and cook until moisture is gone and mixture clumps together.
7. Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder and Kashmiri Chili Powder. Mix.
8. Add 1/4 cup Water and mix well so spices don’t burn. Cook until moisture evaporates.
9. Add Dried Fenugreek Leaves and Dried Mango Powder. Mix well.
10. Add Turnips, Salt and 2 cups Water (or more for desired consistency. Mix well and cook until Turnips are tender, stirring in between.
11. Finish with Garam Masala, mix well and garnish with Cilantro Leaves.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make turnip curry, shalgam curry, low carb vegetables, Indian vegetarian recipes, Indian vegan recipes, root vegetables, keto.