This recipe wins as my favorite hands down. It is so flavorful and the combination of the tomatoes, eggplant and the spices….beautiful, beautiful!!!
Eggplant – 4, Japanese variety
Oil – for deep frying
Kalonji ( Onion Seeds) – ½ tsp
Saunf ( Fennel Seeds) – 1 tsp
Jeera ( Cumin Seeds) – ½ tsp
Rai ( Mustard Seeds) – ½ tsp
Haldi – ½ tsp
Green Chili – 2-3, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp (roughly crushed)
Garlic – 1 tsp ( grated)
Diced tomatoes – 2, 8oz cans
Salt – to taste
- Dice the Eggplant into 1” cubes. Deep fry them and keep aside.
- In a separate wok (Kadhai), heat 1 tbsp oil, put in the Onion Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Mustard Seeds.
- Once the Mustard Seeds splutter and the Jeera seeds get a golden color, add the Haldi, Green Chili, Salt, Ginger and Garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook covered, stirring frequently, till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add in the fried Eggplant, mix well and cook for just another couple of minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
- You can serve it as a dish or as pickle.
- Be careful not to burn the tomatoes. Hover around the stove while this is cooking.
- The secret to this recipe lies in the Tomatoes mixture cooking well, so have patience and enjoy the process.