There is nothing like coconut milk to give a little lift in flavor and aroma to any dish. Though the regular Rajma is a well known dish that just can’t be replaced in anyone’s hearts, this dish is a great twist and will manage to satisfy and comfort you as well so don’t overlook it. Try this Coconut Rajma Curry recipe and see how yummy kidney beans can get. With its creamy texture and subtle flavor, this vegan curry is fabulous with rice or chapati.
Soak Time: min. 8 hours
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Dry Kidney Beans (Rajma) – 2 cups, soaked in 6 cups of water for 6-8 hrs or overnight.
Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
Water – 6 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Black Cardamom – 1
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 5
Bay Leaf – 1
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – 1 to 2 or to taste, slit
Pureed Tomatoes – 1 cup (approx 3 Roma tomatoes)
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 14 oz can
Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
Cilantro – 10 sprigs, chopped to garnish
1. Drain soaked Kidney Beans, rinse and add to a pressure cooker with Salt and 6 cups Water.
2. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on Med-High, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for additional 45 minutes. Allow pressure to release on its own.
3. Meanwhile, heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard Seeds. Allow them to sputter.
4. Add whole spices and mix for 10-15 seconds.
5. Add Curry Leaves, Onions and little Salt, mix and cook until translucent.
6. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Mix and cook until Onions are golden brown.
7. Add Pureed Tomatoes and cook until oil separates from the mixture.
8. Reduce heat and add powdered spices. Mix well to coat spices with oil and add 1-2 Tbsp of water to prevent burning.
9. Add Strained Kidney Beans (reserving liquid) to the pan and mix well.
10. Add reserved liquid as needed to get desired consistency along with Coconut Milk.
11. Sprinkle Lemon/Lime juice and chopped Cilantro to garnish.