Palak Paneer or Spinach with Homemade Cheese is easily one of the most recognizable and popular Indian dishes. Besides being a staple of Indian restaurants, top Indian chefs such as Sanjeev Kapoor and Tarla Dalal have made it even more popular. Here is our version of this palak paneer recipe. It’s packed with the goodness of spinach and loaded with protein from the paneer, a homemade cheese which doesn’t melt when heated. Try this delicious recipe and you’ll be surprised how easy it is to make!
Spinach – 1, 16oz pkt chopped, frozen (about 1/2 kg)
Paneer– 7 oz or 200 g
Oil – 3 tbsp
Onions – 2 med, minced
Ginger – 1″ pc, minced
Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
Water – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2 large or 1, 14oz can diced (pureed)
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Heavy Whipping Cream – 8 tbsp or to taste
Milk – to taste (optional)
- Cook frozen Spinach with 1/2 cup Water in a microwave safe dish for 7-8 minutes stirring in between.
- Blend cooked Spinach to desired texture (avoid over-blending).
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a medium non-stick pan on high heat.
- Once Oil is hot, add in the minced Onions, stir, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the Ginger and Garlic and mix. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the Tomates, cover and cook till the oil seperates from the mixture.
- Keep stirring frequently as the Masala (Onion, Tomato, Ginger & Garlic mixture) tends to burn very fast.
- While the Masala is cooking, cube the paneer to desired size…1/2″ cubes work well.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp Oil.
- Once Oil is hot, add in the paneer cubes and let them cook till they are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the pan into a plate with paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- In a couple of minutes, pour the Paneer into a bowl of cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, once the Masala is prepared, add in the mashed Spinach.
- Mix and add the Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Chili Powder & Turmeric Powder.
- Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the desired amount of Cream and /or Milk. Mix and cook for another few minutes.
- Gently squeeze the water out of the Paneer and put the Paneer in the Spinach.
- Mix gently and serve hot.
- Serves 4 . Enjoy with Naan, Chapati, Paratha or Rice.
- Health tip- some great substitutes for Heavy Whipping Cream are Milk, Soymilk, Lactaid, Half and Half or Evaporated Milk.
Watch and learn…