Brussels sprouts have finally found a place for themselves in the superfoods category – yes, so happy for them ?! These days everyone is on a low carb quest and all of us are trying to eat cleaner and healthier.
These mini cabbage-like, intimidating-looking things are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals and, as we already mentioned, low in carbs. Since they are not primarily an Indian vegetable, it is hard to incorporate them into our everyday meals. Here we have done just that you, giving you an option of enjoying them as a subzi with your Rotis, Chapatis and/or Rice.
They are easy to make and cook really fast so it makes them even more applealing in todays fast paced lifestyle. We do have another fab Brussels Sprouts Subzi Recipe, that is different and also another great option.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Brussels Sprouts – 1 lb., washed, ends trimmed, and sliced thinly
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Dried Mango Powder – ½ tsp (Lime or Lemon Juice can be substituted after cooking)
Red Chili Powder – ½ tsp or to taste
Himalayan Salt – 1 ¼ tsp or to taste
Butter – 1 Tbsp (replace with Oil for vegan option)
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 Tbsp (replace with Oil for vegan option)
Crushed Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp
Asofoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Hemp Hearts – 3 Tbsp (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Turmeric, Dried Mango Powder, Red Chili Powder & Salt – mix well.
2. Sprinkle above mixture over thinly sliced Brussels Sprouts and toss to coat evenly.
3. In a non-stick pan, heat Ghee & Butter over medium heat.
4. Once hot, add Asofoetida, Crushed Peanuts & Sesame Seeds. Constantly stir while allowing them to turn a light golden brown.
5. Add spiced Brussels Sprouts and mix well.
6. Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally and allowing the Brussels Sprouts to caramelize.
7. Once tender, uncover, stir and continue cooking to further crisp up (do not burn).
8. Remove from heat and sprinkle optional Hemp Hearts, mix well and serve.