Stuffed Okra is definitely a dish with a “Wow!” factor. Okra (aka Bhindi or Ladyfinger) are kept whole, slit along one side and stuffed with a flavorful blend of spices. Many people are hesitant to cook okra due to their perceived sliminess as well as the amount of oil that is needed in the recipe. In fact, some of the most delicious recipes (especially in restaurants) are made with fried okra. A two step cooking process, microwave and stove top, not only makes this recipe for Stuffed Bhindi efficient but you can save quite a bit of fat and calories from the reduced amount of oil.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves – 4
Okra (Bhindi) – 1 lb (500 g), tops removed and slit down one side
Oil – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 Tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 Tbsp
Dry Mango Powder – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
For the Seasoning:
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Carrom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Onion – 1 small (150 g), sliced
Tomato – 1 large (150 g), chopped
1. Wash and dry Okra.
2. Cut off the tops and slit one side to split open.
3. Coat Okra with one tsp of oil.
4. Mix all the dry masalas (spices) and stuff in the Okra.
5. Place stuffed okra in a microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave for 5 minutes.
6. Take out and mix gently and microwave for another 2 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp oil in a non-stick pan.
8. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
9. Add Cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
10. Add carom seeds (ajwain) and cook for 30 seconds.
11. Add Asafoetida and Turmeric powder.
12. Add Onions, increase the heat and allow the onions to caramelize (stirring often).
13. Add a little salt (just for the onions) or the balance of the stuffing masala.
14. Mix in the cooked Okra and allow them to brown a little.
15. Mix in tomatoes and allow them to soften.
16. Serve hot with roti or chapati.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make crispy stuffed okra, bharwa bhindi recipe, how to make bharwan bharvan bhindi, how to prevent okra from getting slimy, Indian style okra recipe, low carb Indian recipes, why do okra get slimy.