Paneer Butter Masala (Butter Paneer) or Panir Makhani is one of the most popular and recognizable North Indian menu items at restaurants. Given its mild flavor and smooth, creamy texture, it’s a favorite amongst kids and adults alike. A slightly sweet and tangy curry made with tomatoes, ginger, garlic and aromatic spices, along with butter and cream, is the velvety base for the paneer. for After seeing how easy it is to make this restaurant style butter paneer recipe at home, you’ll wonder why you haven’t attempted it before.
Scroll down for the detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Paneer – 14 oz, cut to desired size and shape (bite size)
Tomatoes – 5, cut into large pieces
Green Chilies – to taste, chopped
Ginger – 1 inch, chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 cup
Butter – 4 Tbsp (divided 2+2)
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1
Green Cardamom – 2
Black Cardamom – 1
Cloves – 5
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ginger/Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp or to taste
Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Tbsp, roughly powdered
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Heavy Whipping Cream – 3/4 cup or to taste
1. In a sauce pan, add Tomatoes, Green Chilies, Ginger, Garlic, Salt and Water. Bring to a boil and cook until tomatoes are soft.
2. Allow mixture to cool slightly and blend to a smooth sauce. Keep aside.
3. In a medium pan on medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp Butter and Oil.
4. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom and Cloves. Mix.
5. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
6. Add minced Ginger/Garlic, mix and cook for 30 secs and add blended tomato mixture. Cook for 10 mins or until it becomes a thick sauce.
7. Add Red Chili Powder, Kashmiri Chili Powder, Sugar and Dried Fenugreek Leaves. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add Garam Masala and mix.
9. Add cubed Paneer and mix gently until it gets fully coated with sauce. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the paneer is heated through.
10. Add Heavy Whipping Cream and mix well. Bring sauce to a boil and its ready to serve.
11. Garnish with a drizzle of heavy cream.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
How to make restaurant style butter paneer, paneer butter masala, panir makhani, north indian recipes, punjabi food, mild curries, Indian vegetarian recipes.
7 thoughts on “Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala | Panir Makhani”
wow its very nice recipe.
I cannot find the Kashmiri mirch powder, How can I substitute regular red chili powder for it?
You can use with Red Chili Powder or Paprika. The Kashmiri Mirch is basically for color.
I made this Butter Paneer the other night and after it was done the flavor was so smooth, creamy and delicious! My husband requested I put chicken in it for added protein. I pressure cooked some boneless, skinless chicken thighs then added them to the paneer gravy. It was quite delicious. It certainly added another layer of flavor.
So glad you and your family enjoyed the dish.
A little secret, we do that a lot as we have some members of the family that prefer Tofu/Paneer over other proteins. Make a big batch of gravy and add your protein of choice ?
You 2 always rock together. This recipes looks yummy, I will try. Love the background of your stove. Thank you
Thank you so much for your love and support, means the world to us ??