Seasoned Onion Rice (aka Vagharelo Bhaat) is a practically effortless way to a quick lunch or snack. Like Fried Rice, this dish comes out best with some leftover rice. The few days old rice holds up better and has a different texture than fresh rice that adds to this recreation of this dish. Again, it’s lovely to be able to recycle leftovers, not have to waste food AND not have the family turn up their noses, it’s a win-win! In this amazing recipe, the crunch of the onions and the zest of the lime gives this rice such a fresh taste that you’ll never know it was left- and you don’t even have to mention it.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
Cooked Rice: 2 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Whole Dry Red Chili – 1
Curry Leaves – few
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Onions – 1/2 medium, sliced
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
Cilantro (Coriander) – finely chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
2. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to turn golden brown.
4. Add Dry Red Chili, Curry Leaves, Turmeric Powder and Asafoetida.
5. Add Green Chilies, Onions and Garlic. Mix and cook until Onions are light golden brown but not over-cooked.
6. Add salt and Cooked Rice (pre-heat for 1 minute in the microwave) and mix well.
7. Add Lime/Lemon Juice to taste.
8. Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander) leaves.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
What to do with leftover rice, ideas for leftovers, leftover rice dish, gujju, leftovers guju rice dish