If your baby is getting a bit older and past the jar baby food stage, here is something that may interest you. Try this delicious Cracked Wheat (aka Daliya) Khichdi. Cracked wheat, a wheat product made from whole raw wheat kernels that are crushed or cut into smaller pieces, has a great deal of nutrition and fiber since it includes the fiber and nutrient rich outer bran and germ of the wheat. Pair this with some protein (mung daal) and veggies and you have a well balanced (and don’t forget, flavorful) meal for your growing child.
Cracked Wheat (Daliya) – 1/2 cup
Mung Daal – 1/2 cup, washed and drained
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, finely grated
Garlic – 1/2 tsp, minced
Peas/Carrots (or your choice of veggies) – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Water – 4 cups
1. Heat Clarified Butter (Ghee) in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Cracked Wheat (Daliya) to the hot ghee and roast until fragrant (approx 2 minutes).
3. Add washed and drained Mung Daal, Water, Peas/Carrots, Ginger, Garlic, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, and Salt.
4. Mix and pressure cook for 1 whistle, turn off stove and allow the pressure to go down by itself.
5. Serve with yogurt or ghee.