This style of Chicken Biryani is called the ‘Pakki-Biryani’, where the chicken and the rice are cooked separately and then combined in the final step. There are a lot of different ways of making Biryani and here is one simple, easy and yet incredibly delicious recipe that is just ‘too good’ and we had to pass it on. Do not get intimidated by the number of ingredients or the steps…just follow along step-by-step and WOW your family and friends! Also, check out the prefect accompaniment for this Biryani — Cilantro & Mint Raita We think they were made for each other…
Chicken with bones – 2 lbs, cut
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Water – 8 cups
Yogurt (Curd) – 1.5 cups
Potatoes – 1, large (cubed) – optional
Oil – 3 tbsp
Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tbsp
Garlic – 2 tsp (minced)
Ginger – 2 tsp (minced)
Green Chili – to taste
Cinnamon Stick – 2″piece
Bay Leaves – 2
Black Cardamom – 1
Mace – 3 pcs
Green Cardamoms – 4
Cloves – 4
Whole Peppercorns – to taste
Golden Raisins – 1 tbsp
Cashews – 1 tbsp (heaped)
Salt – to taste
Black Cumin – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Saffron (Kesar) – 1/4 tsp
Mint Leaves – 2 handfuls (chopped)
Cilantro – 1/4 cup (chopped)
Fried Onions – 1 cup (divided)
1. Wash and soak the Rice for a minimum 1/2 hour.
2. In a pan, bring 8 cups of water to boil.
3. Once boiling, add Green Cardamoms (2), Bay Leaves (1), Salt and Oil (1tsp).
4. Add in the washed Rice to boiling water.
5. Once the Water starts boiling again, time and cook for 5 minutes (the Rice needs to be 3/4 way done).
6. Drain the water from the Rice and keep aside.
7. In a separate bowl, mix Saffron and Water (1 Tbsp), keep aside and allow it to soak.
8. Heat a pan on medium heat, add in the Oil and the Clarified Butter.
9. Once hot, add in the Cashews and Golden Raisins, fry for a couple of minutes till the cashews get a light golden color.
10.Remove from the Pan. Make sure you drain all the Oil. Keep aside.
11.Add in the balance of whole spices – Cinnamon Stick, Mace, Bay Leaf, Black & Green Cardamom, Peppercorns & Cloves.
12.Fry for under a minute.
13.Add in Black Cumin (use regular Cumin if Black is not available).
14.Allow them to sizzle.
15.Add in Ginger & Garlic, fry for another minute. Keep stirring.
16.Add in the washed, cleaned pieces of Chicken. Mix well.
17.Once the Chicken looks sealed, add in the following while stirring constantly – Yogurt, Fried Onion (1/2 cup), Cilantro (save some for garnish), Mint, Green Chili, Potatoes and the dry spices – Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric, Red Chili & Salt.
18.Mix very well. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes (the chicken should be 3/4 of the way done).
19. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (approx 121 degrees C).
20.Coat an oven-proof dish with a little oil.
21.Start by layering the Chicken at the bottom of the dish along with a few pieces of Potatoes (saving the gravy for top layer).
22.Fluff up the Rice and add a layer of it on top of the Chicken with half of the Rice.
23.Layer the balance of the potatoes and all the gravy on the rice layer.
24.Next spread the balance of the Rice.
25.Layer the Cashews, Raisins, Fried Onions, Cilantro and Saffron.
26.Drizzle a little bit of Oil.
27.Cover with an air-tight lid or a foil and bake for 1 hour or till the potatoes are cooked.
28.Once out of the oven, take a ladle and mix it gently but well.
29.Allow it to sit for 5 minutes and serve with ‘Cilantro & Mint Raita’
1. Chicken with bones works best for this recipe, but if you prefer boneless, then you will need to cook the chicken a little less.
2. Fresh Mint is sometimes not easily available. Substitute for dried, crushed Mint, available at Indian grocery stores.
3. You can also add in full boiled eggs along with the gravy…looks good and tastes very good.
4. For a stronger orange color to the biryani, add the Saffron before the Cashews and Raisins.
5. If you feel that the Biryani is overcooked, use the handle-end of the ladle to mix in without mushing up any more.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
How to make chicken biryani at home, easy biryani recipes, basmati rice, the best murg biryani recipe.
138 thoughts on “Chicken Biryani”
What a recipe. I love this recipe. I made this recipe for my family at lunchtime. I made it for the first time. they liked this recipe. if we want to eat biryani we order it from the country kebabz. Because country kebabs foods taste is very delicious. the quality of all foods is very outstanding. I like this recipe biryani and country kebab biryani.
Thank for sharing your cooking style! i ‘m gonna try this one tonight.
The worst ever chicken biryani recipe
I have a question regarding chicken biryani. The other day i went to an indian takeaway shop and ordered one. All the ingredients are displayed in view of the customers. The chicken breast cubes are placed in a big deep stainless steel tin filled in a bright red soup like sauce. So basically when a customer orders a chicken related dish the cook gets his cooking spoon, removes some chicken and places it in his cooking pan and then scoops some of the sauce in with the chicken and then adds the rice and stirs it.
What i want to know is what that red sauce is. I really need to know.
hye can we try this recipe on rice cooker??
Biriyani is one of the favourite dish of mine..I love chicken biriyani a lot over the mutton biriyani.. I would like to share the making of Vegetable Biriyani from our home.. hope it is useful for all… http://southindian-dishes.com/south-indian-recipes-video/vegetable-biryani-video-recipe/
Hi Hetal and Anuja,
If I have to double the amount do I have to increase the cook time of rice or do I just cook the 4 cups rice for 5 minutes as well?
thank you..guys now iknow how to cook my favorite biryani rice w/ chicken..
Can you make it easy I don’t get it
Reply me as soon as possible
Yummy yummy in my tummy