The aromas in the house are going to drive the neighbors insane so make sure you make enough to share with everyone 🙂 This oh-so-grown-up cake and it’s intensity of flavors are going to make you feel like a pro. Enjoy this wonderful cake with a cup of Tea, with breakfast or as a dessert (with ice-cream…)!
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 40-45 min
Makes: approx. 10 slices
Unsalted Butter – 1 tbsp, softened
Brown Sugar – 3 tbsp
Flour (Maida) – 1.5 tbsp
Walnuts – 1/3rd cup, chopped
Chai (Tea) Masala – 2 tsp
Flour (Maida) – 1.25 cup
Salt – 1/8th tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Unsalted Butter – 6 tbsp, softened
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Large Eggs – 2
Thick Yogurt – 3/4th cup
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Butter for greasing baking dish
Flour for dusting
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Butter the sides and bottom of the baking tray and lightly dust with Flour and remove excess.
3. In a shallow dish, combine Butter, Brown Sugar, Flour (Maida), Walnuts and Chai (Tea) Masala.
4. With a fork mix till it is crumbly and set aside for later.
5. In a bowl, sift all the dry ingredients – Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt.
6. Mix and Set aside.
7. In a mixing bowl, cream the Butter and Sugar together on low speed with a hand blender.
8. Once creamed, break in the Eggs into the batter and incorporate well.
9. Add in the Vanilla Essence and mix.
10. Add in the sifted dry ingredients and the Yogurt alternately in the batter.
11. Beat till it is all done and incorporated well into a smooth batter.
12. In the loaf pan, pour half of the batter.
13. Tap and level it.
14. Sprinkle 3/4th of the topping/filling mixture on the batter.
15. Pour the balance of the batter and level.
16. Sprinkle the balance of the topping/filling and place the baking pan into the center of the oven.
17. Bake for 40-45 min. Insert a toothpick to make sure it is baked.
18. Once done, take out of the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes, loosen the edges and then flip onto a cooling rack.
19. Serve warm or allow to cool and store for a later time.
1. For Eggless Cake, substitute: 2 tbsp of Flaxseed + 6 tbsp Warm Water. Mix and allow sit aside for 5 min. Mix in place of eggs. Add additional 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.
2. Store the cake in the fridge for 1 week or in the freezer for upto a month.
3. To make it sweeter, increase the amount of Sugar.