Pomfret, also known as Paplet Hooman or Pompano, is a popular choice of fish for Goan cuisine. With very little marination time as well as cooking time required, this aromatic coconut based Pomfret fish curry recipe is a must try. Serve it with hot rice or roti. In case you can’t get a hold of pomfret, try these substitutes: sea bass, red snapper, flounder, small grouper, tilapia, cod, haddock, or any white flesh fish.
Scroll down for detailed video recipe.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Pomfret – 2 whole fish, approx 1 lb 5 oz (600 g), cleaned and cut into large pieces/steaks
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp, or to taste
Sprinkle Turmeric and Salt on fish pieces and gently massage the pieces until fully coated. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
Dry Red Chili – 4 to 5, depending on spice level
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Black Peppercorn – 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 Tbsp plus 1 Tbsp
Onion – 1/2 medium, sliced
Garlic – 4 cloves, roughly chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, roughly chopped
Fresh Coconut Pieces or Slices – 1/2 cup
Tamarind Pulp – 1 Tbsp (Kokum can be substituted for authentic flavor)
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Water – 2 cups plus few tablespoons for grinding
Salt – to taste
Green Chilies – 3 to 4, slit
Curry Leaves – 6 to 8 (1 sprig)
1. In a pan, dry roast Dry Red Chilies, Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Black Peppercorn until fragrant. Remove onto a plate to cool.
2. In the same pan, heat 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil and saute Onions for 1 minute.
3. Add Garlic and Ginger pieces and saute for 1 minute.
4. Add Coconut pieces and continue to saute for 3-4 minutes or till golden.
5. Once cool, grind dry spices to a fine powder.
6. Add sauteed items to the grinder and continue to grind.
7. Add Tamarind Pulp, a few tablespoons of water and continue to grind. Add more water as necessary to grind to a very smooth paste.
8. In the same pan, heat 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil. Add Kashmiri Chili Powder and finely ground mixture. Mix well and saute until the mixture clumps together.
9. Add 2 Cups Water, Salt and cook until mixture comes to a rolling boil (3-4 minutes).
10. Add marinated pieces of Pomfret to the pan and mix to coat the fish.
11. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until fish is fully cooked.
12. Garnish with slit Green Chilies and Curry Leaves.
Check out the ShowMeTheCurry YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/showmethecurry
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make fish curry, goan recipes, Indian fish curry recipe, fish curry with coconut, low carb fish, Pomfret Fish Curry, Pomfret Fish Masala, Pomfret Fish Recipe, Pomfret Curry Recipe, Fish Curry, Pomfret Fish Curry Recipe.