Sometimes, you need a light lunch or a tea time snack or simply an easy appetizer. This instant Rawa (Sooji, Suji, Rava, Semolina) Dhokla recipe can be made with some basic ingredients that are found in the pantry in most Indian homes. With no long term soaking, grinding or fermentation required, you’ll be enjoying this delicious Gujarati snack in no time.
Scroll down for detailed video recipe.
Prep Time: 20 mins (including 15 mins inactive)
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serves: 6 to 8
Sooji (Semolina) – 2 cups
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp (grated)
Green Chili – to taste (finely chopped)
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Water – 1 cup
Yogurt – 1 cup, well beaten
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
ENO Fruit Salt – 2 tsp
Spray Cooking Oil
For the Seasoning:
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 2 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 to 2 sprigs
Green Chilies – to taste, de-seeded and slit
Cilantro – 10 sprigs, finely chopped
1. In a medium bowl, add Sooji, Carom Seeds and Oil. Mix well until there are no lumps.
2. To the Yogurt, add Salt, Green Chilies, Turmeric Powder and Ginger. Mix well.
3. Add Yogurt mixture into Sooji and mix.
4. Add in Water and mix until a smooth batter forms and there are no lumps.
5. Allow batter to rest for 15 minutes.
6. In the meantime, prepare a stock pot or tall pressure cooker with 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water. Bring it to a boil.
7. Prepare Dhokla stand plates by lightly spraying cooking oil.
8. Once the Water comes to a boil, add ENO fruit salt to the batter and mix well. The batter will foam up.
9. Pour batter immediately into the Dhokla plates (filling only half way up) and place Dhokla stand into the stock pot. NOTE: If using a pressure cooker, do not place the weight or whistle on the cooker.
10. Cover the stock pot and cook the Dhokla on medium heat for 15 minutes.
11. Switch off stove and remove the Dhokla stand from the stock pot. Let is cool for 5 minutes.
12. For the seasoning, heat Oil in a small non-stick skillet on medium heat.
13. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
14. Add Sesame Seeds and allow them to pop (keep a cover handy to the seeds don’t pop at you).
15. Add Asafoetida (Hing), Curry Leaves, slit Green Chilies and let them cook for 30 – 40 seconds.
16. Switch off stove.
17. Sprinkle chopped Cilantro Leaves on the Dhokla and pour above seasoned oil over the top.
18. Cut Dhokla into desired square pieces and serve with mint/coriander chutney.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
#InstantDhokla #RavaDhokla #RawaDhokla
How to make homemade dhokla, instant dhokla recipe, rawa dhokla, sooji, suji, rava, khaman dhokla, khamman, gujarati snacks, easy indian appetizers, semolina.
2 thoughts on “Rawa Dhokla | Instant Suji Dhokla”
This looks so tasty. I love trying south Asian foods!
First time I made rawa dhokla. Your instructions were amazing. Made it so easy. And it was absolutely delicious. Thanks a ton.