Aloo Gobi Masala is a flavorful Indian vegetarian dish made with potatoes, cauliflower and many spices which makes it fragrant and mouth-watering! Try this recipe and enjoy your creation with chappati, paratha or rice and daal. It’s delicious!
Cauliflower – 1 medium, cut to bite size florets
Potatoes – 2 large, cut to bite size pieces
Frozen Green Peas – 1 cup
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asofoetida – pinch
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 inch piece, minced
Garlic – 5 cloves, minced
Tomatoes – 2 large, chopped
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan.
2. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
3. Add Asofoetida, Turmeric Powder and Onions — mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add Ginger and Garlic — mix and saute until Oil starts to separate from the onions (stir frequently).
5. Add Tomatoes — mix and cook until Oil again separates from the mixture (stir frequently).
6. While tomatoes are cooking, place Potatoes in a microwave safe bowl w/ cover, sprinkle a little salt, add 1/4 cup water and microwave for approx 3-5 minutes (they should be 1/2 cooked).
7. Place washed Cauliflower florets in a microwave safe bowl w/ cover and cook for approx 3-5 minutes (it should be 1/2 cooked). Lightly Salt the Cauliflower while it is still warm.
8. Once Oil has separated from the tomato mixture, add Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, Dry Mango Powder and Salt — mix well.
9. Add half-cooked Potatoes, mix well to coat all potatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes (or until the potatoes are tender but not breaking apart).
10. Add Green Peas and half-cooked Cauliflower and mix well to evenly coat the cauliflower — cover and cook until all veggies are tender but not mushy and falling apart.
11. Garnish with chopped Cilantro Leaves and serve with Chapatti, Paratha or Rice and Daal.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
How to make Indian style cauliflower, punjabi aloo gobi recipe, flavorful spicy potato, Indian vegetarian vegan recipes.
76 thoughts on “Aloo Gobi Masala – Spiced Cauliflower and Potatoes”
I am a novice at Indian cooking. Home is michigan but wintering in India. Trying several of your recipes and they are working out extremely well. This recipe is wonderful, had to improvise a little as no microwave, just precooked the potato and cauliflower to approx 2/3 and it tastes great. Thank you so much
Thank you so much for your feedback and your love and support.
I was wondering what the conversion would be if using ginger/garlic paste ? Thank you .
Hi Darla, Approx 1 teaspoon of Ginger paste and 2 teaspoons of garlic paste.
Thanks for the recipe. I have linked you back on my blog.