A rich soft halwa with saffron – a treat to the taste buds…A quick version!
1 cup Almonds (badam)
3/4 cup Ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup Milk
7-8 piece Saffron threads
1 cup Sugar (granulated sugar)
3/4 cup Water
1. Soak almonds overnight or for atleast 6 hrs till the skin pops out of the almonds when you squeeze the almond with your fingers.
2. Skin the almonds and grind in mixer/blender to make a thick paste with milk (adding little by little at a time).
3. Heat sugar and water till it starts boiling. Add saffron threads mixed with a tsp of warm milk to the water and sugar syrup and boil for about 1-2 mins. Add the badam and milk paste.
4. Now add ghee little by little mixing well. Keep mixing till the mixture thickens little and there are wrinkle formations when you move your spatula in the mixture. This will about 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool. The halwa will thicken more as it cools. You will not be able to make pieces. Also, using a non-stick utensil can help to make the process of mixing easy since the halwa will not stick to the pan.
Some additional tips:
Adding a lot of saffron will not only add a rich natural colour but a lovely aroma to the dessert. Use atleast 7-8 threads.