When you’re in the mood for some good old fashioned comfort food, khichdi and kadhi will surely hit the spot. Masala khichdi or vaghareli khichdi is a one pot rice and dal (daal) combination meal that is loaded up with some vegetables and spices. Kadhi is a hot yogurt based soup that is traditionally mixed with khichadi. Put these two Gujarati favorites together and you’ll see what comfort food is all about.
Scroll down for the detailed recipe video.
Ingredients for Khichdi:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Rice – 1 cup
Toor Daal – 1/2 cup
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Clarified Butter (ghee) – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Raw Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Ground Cloves – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
Potato – 1 medium, diced
Frozen Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp (optional)
Method for Khichdi:
1. Combine Rice and Toor Daal and wash until water runs clear.
2. Add 3 cups water and soak for 15-20 minutes (if time permits).
3. Heat Oil and Clarified Butter in a pressure cooker.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
5. Add Cinnamon Stick and Raw Peanuts. Cook until Peanuts turn light brown.
6. Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Ground Cloves and Black Pepper. Mix quickly.
7. Immediately add in Onions and stir well.
8. Add Garlic, Green Chilies and Ginger. Mix and cook for about 1 minute.
9. Add Potatoes, Peas, Salt, Red Chili Powder and Garam Masala. Mix well.
10. Add Rice and Daal with Water.
11. Check the salt, chili, etc and adjust as necessary. Bring to a slight boil.
12. Close the pressure cooker, cook until 1 whistle sounds and immediately switch off the stove.
13. Wait until the pressure from the cooker is gone before opening the lid.
Ingredients for Kadhi:
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Yogurt – 1 cup, beaten
Chickpea Flour (Besan) – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp grated
Green chilies – 1 to 2 (to taste), finely chopped
Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste (optional)
For Vaghar (seasoning):
Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 Tbsp
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Cloves – 4
Whole red chili – 1
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 10 seeds
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, chopped
Method for Kadhi:
1. In a pot, mix together Yogurt, Water and Chickpea Flour well until there are no lumps.
2. Add Salt, Sugar, Turmeric Powder, Ginger and Green Chilies.
3. Bring mixture to a boil on medium flame, stirring continuously.
4. Reduce flame to low.
5. In a separate small pan, heat Ghee.
6. Add Cinnamon, Cloves, Whole Red Chili, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds and Fenugreek Seeds – allow them to splutter.
7. Turn off flame and add Asafoetida, Curry Leaves and Cilantro – mix well to coat leaves with oil.
8. Immediately, add the seasoning to the boiled yogurt mixture and allow it to boil once more.
1. To prevent yogurt from separating when heated, don’t forget to stir CONTINUOUSLY until mixture boils.
2. To make thicker Kadhi, add more besan.
3. If your yogurt is too sour, replace part of the water with milk
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
How to make khichadi and kadhi, khichdi, vaghareli khichdi, Gujarati recipes, rice and daal, Indian cuisine, one pot meals, Indian comfort food, kahdi, kadi, yogurt soup, vegetarian.
2 thoughts on “Masala (Vaghareli) Khichdi & Gujarati Kadhi”
I think you guys are amazing. I am so glad you are doing more videos. My mom taught me basic Gujarati cooking but you guys are helping me improve it with all the exact measurements. She is no longer with me but I am happy to keep cooking what she had started to teach me. Love you guys.
Thank you so much for your love and support, it truly means the world to us.