Got a lot of left-over rice that you don’t know what to do with? Make Yogurt Rice!! It’s simple and satisfying. Eat Yogurt Rice (Dahi Bhaat) with a little mango pickle – it’s yummy!
Rice – 3 cups, cooked and lightly mashed
Yogurt – 2 cups, beaten
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) – ½ tsp
Whole Red Chili – 1
Hing (Asofoetida) – pinch
Channa Daal – 1 tsp
Urad Daal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chilies – 1 or 2 to taste, finely chopped
Ginger – ½ tsp, grated
Cilantro – 2 sprigs, chopped
- Heat left-over Rice in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Yogurt and Salt and mix well.
- Heat Oil in a small pan.
- Add Rai and allow it to sputter.
- Add Whole Red Chili and Hing.
- Add Channa Daal and Urad Daal and cook until the Daals turn light brown.
- Add Curry Leaves, Green Chilies and Ginger – mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the above mixture to the Rice and Yogurt – mix well.
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro leaves.
- Serves 2-3
- If the Rice and Yogurt mixture is looking a little dry, add a little Milk to thin it down. The Milk also helps to cut the tartness of the Yogurt.
- For a variation, mix in some Pomegranate Seeds. They add a lot of color and sweetness to the dish.
Watch and Learn