If plain white rice just a little too boring to serve to your guests or family or you just want a break from the plain white rice, Jeera Rice is a great option. The fragrance of the Jeera is so enticing and earthiness in flavor compliments so many Indian dishes.
Try this colorful and fragrant Jeera (Cumin) Rice recipe and put a “Wow!” in your dinner presentation.
Scroll to the bottom for video
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Basmati rice — 1 cup
Water — 2 cups
Carrots — ½ cup, diced
Frozen green peas — ½ cup, washed
Oil — 2 tsp
Ghee (clarified butter) — 2 tsp (Oil for vegan substitute)
Cinnamon — 1 small piece
Cloves — 4
Green Elaichi (cardamom) — 1
Kala Jeera (black cumin) — 1 tsp
Salt — 1 tsp
1. Rinse Rice with water until water runs clear – Add 2 cups water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. In a pot with a tight fitting lid, heat Oil and Ghee.
3. Add Cinnamon, Cloves, Elaichi and Kala Jeera – allow them to sputter.
4. Add Carrots and Green Peas and mix well.
5. Add Rice, Water and Salt.
6. Bring to a boil – uncovered.
7. Cover the pot, reduce flame to low and let rice simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Remove cover and stir gently to mix the vegetables and rice.
9. Turn off heat and replace cover until ready to eat.
1. Using baby carrots cuts your prep time.
2. Once the pot is covered, don’t keep opening the lid to check on the rice. It will be perfect in 15 minutes without any intervention.
3. Do all your prep work (chopping, etc) while the rice is soaking — it’s more efficient!
Try this recipe — We’d love to hear your experience or comments!
Watch and learn!
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
zeera chawal, zira chawal, zira rice, how to make jira rice, how to make jira pulao, simple jira rice