If you’re tired of the same old biryanis, try this Goan inspired recipe for Shrimp (Prawn) Biryani. This amazing Shrimp Biryani is very simple and easy to make and what’s even better is that it is a one-pot dish and can be made in under an hour! With the creaminess of coconut milk and freshness of mint, it is a wonderful change to the usual biryanis and yet, the shrimp flavor is very pronounced. This is one dish that’s going to have you keep going back for more.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves – 4
Shrimp – 1/2 lb, cleaned and deveined (tail on or off)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 2
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1″ piece
Ginger, Garlic & Green Chillies – 2 tbsp
Fried Onions – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2 med, chopped
Salt – to taste
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Basmati Rice – 1 cup, washed and drained, but NOT soaked
Clarified Butter/Ghee – 1 Tbsp, for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom and Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add Fried Onions and mix.
4. Add Tomatoes and Shrimp — mix.
5. Add Red Chili Powder, Salt and Mint Leaves — mix.
6. Add Coconut Milk and washed Rice — mix well.
7. Cover, pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove. (Electric stove users — remove from the stove)
8. Allow pressure to go down by itself.
9. Open pressure cooker and fluff biryani with a fork.
10. Drizzle Clarified Butter (ghee) over the top, cover and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make goan style biryani, jhinga biryani, jhinga pulav, pulao, palif,