Many people mistakenly call all kinds of beans Lentil. Lentil is a specific type of bean which is flat, round and has a dark brown husk. It makes a very hearty soup all by itself or try it with some hot rice.
Whole Lentil – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – ¼ tsp
Rai (Mustard Seeds) – ¼ tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) – ¼ tsp
Hing (Asofoetida) – pinch
Onion – 1 small, chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely grated
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder) – 1/2 tsp
Jeera Powder (Cumin Powder) – ¼ tsp
Red Chili Powder – ¼ tsp or to taste
Salt – ½ tsp or to taste
Lemon Juice – ½ tsp or to taste
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 5 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. Wash Lentil in running water until water runs clear. Soak for approx 1 hour. Drain water.
2. Add Lentil and 3 cups Water in a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
3. Heat Oil in a pan.
4. Add Jeera and Rai and allow to sputter.
5. Add Haldi, Hing, Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilies – mix well and cook until onions turn light brown.
6. Add Tomato – mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add Dhania, Jeera and Red Chili Powders – cook for 1 minute.
8. Add in cooked Lentil, Salt and a little extra water if the mixture is too thick.
9. Allow to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add Lemon Juice to taste and garnish with Cilantro.
11. Serves 4-5
1. Soaking the Lentil for about an hour before pressure cooking reduces cooking time.
2. For a creamy variation, add a dollop of yogurt (at the end) to your lentil.