Spicy Chapati Crumble (fancy name for Vaghareli Bhakri) is a clever way to use up leftover Chapatis or Rotis. With Onion, Potatoes and flavorful spices, you can create a fresh new dish. Leftover ka makeover, that’s how I’d describe this dish and I love it when we are able to do that…no one likes leftovers so recreating a new dish out of it, helps freshen it and we don’t end up wasting food. Try this delicious recipe as a snack at the next “tea time get-together”.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Chapati/Roti – 7-8
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Onions – 1/4 med, diced
Potatoes – 1 med, diced
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Cilantro/Cilantro leaves – for garnish
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice – to taste
1. Roughly chop chapati/roti in a food processor or by hand.
2. Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
3. Add Mustard Seeds and let them pop.
4. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to turn golden.
5. Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Green Chilies, Curry Leaves and Onions. Mix well and cook until onions are light golden.
6. Add Potatoes, Salt, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Red Chili Powder. Mix well, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
7. Add in crumbled Chapati/Roti and Lemon/Lime Juice and mix well.
8. Cook for few minutes uncovered until chapati is slightly crispy.
9. Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) and serve hot.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
how to use up chapatis, leftovers, how to make guju vaghareli bhakri, gujju chapati leftovers dish