Shahi Mushroom Matar, or mushrooms with green peas, is a classic Indian curry with a rich gravy made from ground cashews. This vegetarian (and even vegan) recipe requires simple ingredients and simple steps but produces flavors that can be found in restaurants. The consistency can be modified so you can enjoy this curry with naan, chapati or roti, and even rice. And…if you’re not a fan of mushrooms, substitute them with paneer, cauliflower or other vegetables of your choice. The rich, creamy gravy will compliment almost anything.
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Raw Cashews – 1/2 cup
Poppy Seeds (khas khas) – 1/2 Tbsp
Boiling Water – 1/2 cup
Soak for 1 hour and grind to a smooth paste using soaking water.
Baby Bella (Cremini) Mushrooms – 1 lb, cleaned and quartered
Green Peas – 1 cup
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Dry Red Chili – 1
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
Tomato Puree – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp or to taste
Dry Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Tbsp
Hot Water – 1/2 to 1 cup as needed
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Cilantro – for garnishing
1. Heat Oil with Dry Red Chili in a pan on medium heat.
2. Once Oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds and let them sizzle.
3. Add Onions and a little sprinkle of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
4. Add Ginger Garlic Paste, mix and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
5. Add Tomato Puree, mix and cook until oil separates.
6. Reduce flame to low and add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Black Pepper and Salt. Mix well. Sprinkle a little water if needed to prevent spices from burning.
7. Roughly powder Dry Fenugreek Leaves between palms and add to the mixture. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
8. Add Mushrooms and mix to coat them evenly with the spice mixture.
9. Add Green Peas, mix well, increase flame to medium, cover and cook until Mushrooms caramelize slightly. Stir in between.
10. Add Cashew paste (use a little water to clean out grinder) and mix well.
11. Add Hot Water as needed to achieve desired consistency of gravy.
12. Adjust Salt and other spices and allow it to come to a boil.
13. Add Chaat Masala, mix well, garnish with Cilantro and its ready to serve.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make mushroom matar, shahi recipes, mushrooms and peas, matter, mutter, mater, rich Indian curries, restaurant style Indian recipes, vegan vegetarian curry recipes.