Punjabi Chole, also known as Chana Masala, is one of the most iconic dishes in Indian cuisine. It is a staple in most Indian restaurants and loved by all. With complex flavors and hearty texture, this restaurant style Chole or Channa recipe (made with garbanzo beans aka kabuli chana) can be enjoyed with rice, naan, bhatura or chapati/roti. Save a trip out to a restaurant and make this delicious Punjabi Chole Masala at home.
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Click here for Bhatura recipe.
Soaking Time: min 6 hrs or overnight
Prep Time: 10 mins
Active Cook Time: 25 mins
Inactive Cook Time: 1 – 1 1/2 hr (pressure cooker time)
Garbanzo Beans (Kabuli Chana) – 2 cups dry soaked overnight with 6 cups Water
Salt – 1.5 tsp
Bay Leaves – 2
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Black Cardamom – 2
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 5
Black Tea Bags – 2
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion – 1 medium, blended to a paste
Ginger/Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
Tomatoes – 4 medium, blended to a paste
Chole/Chana Masala – 2 Tbsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (or Paprika) – 1 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Anardana (Pomegranate Seeds) – 1/2 tsp, powdered
Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kashuri Methi) – 1 Tbsp, powdered
Cilantro – for garnishing
Lime Juice – for garnishing
For the Seasoning/Tadka:
Ghee – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ginger – to taste, julienned
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
1. Add soaked Chana with the water to a pressure cooker along with Salt, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon Stick, Black & Green Cardamom, Cloves and Tea Bags.
2. Pressure cook for 1 whistle, reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
3. Turn off stove and allow pressure to release naturally before opening.
4. Meanwhile, heat Oil in a large pan.
5. Once Oil is hot, add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder and Onion Paste. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add Ginger/Garlic Paste. Mix and cook until oil separates.
7. Add Tomato Paste. Mix and cook until oil separates.
8. Add Chole/Chana Masala, Kashmiri Chili Powder, Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala, Anardana and Amchur. Mix well.
9. Add 1/2 cup Water (1/4 cup, mix well, then 1/4 cup).
10. Add cooked Garbanzo Beans/Chana and mix well.
11. Add cooking liquid, a little at a time while continually mixing.
12. Adjust Salt, cover and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
13. Add Dry Fenugreek Leaves (crushing them between palms to powder).
14. Mix well, cover and allow mixture to come to a boil.
15. In a small skillet, heat Ghee.
16. Once Ghee is hot, add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
17. Add julienned Ginger and slit Green Chilies and cook until golden.
18. Pour seasoning over cooked Chole.
19. Garnish with Cilantro and a squeeze of Lime Juice.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make restaurant style chole, punjabi chana masala, garbanzo beans recipes, kabuli chana, channa masala, choley recipe, pindi chole, Indian vegetarian food, white chana