Rajma Chawal, or Kidney Beans curry with plain white rice, is one of the most comforting of north Indian dishes. The simplicity and heartiness of the protein rich kidney beans in this Instant Pot recipe will make it one of your favorite vegetarian/vegan option. Adjust the consistency of the gravy to enjoy it with rice, naan or chapati.
Scroll down for detailed recipe video.
Prep Time: 10 mins active plus 8 hrs inactive soaking time
Cook Time: approx 1 hr
Rajma (Kidney Beans) – 1.5 Cups dry
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch
Bay Leaf – 1
Onions – 1.5 Cups
Ginger – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 1 Tbsp
Green Chilies – slit, to taste
Tomatoes – 1.5 Cups
Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
Water – 3 cups
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste (optional)
Cilantro – for garnishing
1. Turn on IP on Saute mode (Normal heat) and heat Oil.
2. Once Oil is hot, add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
3. Add Onions and cook till translucent (approx 3-4 mins).
4. Add Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilies and cook for 1-2 min.
5. Add Tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add Turmeric, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Kashmiri Chili Powder, Red Chili Powder & Salt. Mix and cook for 1 min.
7. Add drained and rinsed Kidney Beans and 3 cups fresh water. Adjust Salt.
8. Close IP lid and turn off Saute mode. Press Chili/Beans mode and cook (30 minutes).
9. After pressure releases naturally (NPR), add Garam Masala and Chaat Masala. Mix and cook on Saute mode until desired consistency. Gently press the Rajma (Kidney Beans) with the back of spatula or spoon to mash some of the beans.
10. Garnish with Cilantro and Lime Juice.
1. If using canned Kidney Beans, cook on Manual IP mode for 10 mins and allow pressure to release naturally (NPR).
2. If using unsoaked Kidney Beans, cook on Manual IP for for 60 mins and allow pressure to release naturally (NPR).
3. If using a traditional Pressure Cooker, whistle once and simmer for 30 mins.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
ShowMeTheCurry on Facebook
ShowMeTheCurry on Twitter
ShowMeTheCurry on Instagram
ShowMeTheCurry on Pinterest
How to make rajma chawal, kidney bean curry, Indian vegetarian vegan recipes, North Indian comfort food, IP recipes, instant pot, one pot meals.
2 thoughts on “Instant Pot Rajma | Kidney Beans Curry”
Your recipe mentions adding turmeric, but the list of ingrediants does not say how much
Sorry about that.
It’s 1/4 tsp.
We have updated the recipe.