Spinach Paratha is a perfect way to enjoy the goodness of spinach. This Indian recipe for unleavened flat bread is a little different from the traditional stuffed version of paratha. The kids will love the fun presentation and they won’t even have to know they’re eating a leafy green vegetable!
Chapati Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Frozen Spinach – 1/2 cup (washed)
Plain Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Garlic – 2 large cloves
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
Oil – for cooking
Water – as necessary (lukewarm)
1. In a medium bowl, add Flour and Oil and mix until oil is well incorporated into the flour. Keep aside.
2. In a blender, add remaining ingredients except Oil for cooking and additional water. Grind to a smooth paste.
3. Add Spinach mixture to Flour and form a medium firm dough. It may be necessary to add a little additional water.
4. Form dough into a ball and rub a few drops of oil on it to prevent drying.
5. Cover and keep for 15-20 minutes.
6. Heat Tava or skillet on medium heat.
7. Knead dough once and divide into golf ball size portions.
8. Roll one portion into a smooth ball and flatten it out into your palms.
9. Dip into dry flour to prevent it from sticking to surface while rolling.
10. Roll dough out into a 5-6 inch disc.
11. Smear oil onto half of the disc and sprinkle a pinch of dry flour onto it.
12. Fold disc into a semi-circle.
13. Smear oil onto 1/2 of the semi-circle and sprinkle dry flour onto it.
14. Fold semi-circle into half to form a triangle. Dip into dry flour once more.
15. Roll triangle out into paratha. You can choose to keep the triangle shape or roll it into a round shape.
16. Place paratha onto your skillet or tava. Wait until bubbles appear before flipping it over.
17. Wait another 20-30 seconds, lightly smear oil onto the top and flip over.
18. Press gently with a spatula to make the paratha balloon up.
19. Lightly smear oil on this side and flip again. Press again to cook paratha until all uncooked areas look cooked.
20. Place cooked paratha in an insulated container and repeat process for remaining parathas.
21. Serve hot with subzi, curry, yogurt, pickle or butter.