There are some appetizers that impress with their sheer WOW! factor, even before tasting them. Karari Roti, or crispy roti, is certainly one of them. Made from a simple dough, rolled extremely thin, cooked on an upside down kadhai and finally topped with ghee and spices, Karari Roti is a feast for the eyes and treat for the tongue. Its perfect as a light appetizer with some cold drinks. And if you don’t own a kadhai, no worries…use a flat tawa instead.
Scroll down for detailed video recipe.
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus dough resting time of 15 mins.
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes per roti
Makes: 3-4 rotis depending on kadhai size
Chapati Flour (Atta) – 1/2 cup
All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1/2 cup plus more for dusting
Semolina (Suji/Sooji) – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Warm Water – 5 Tbsp (+/-)
Red Chili Powder
1. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Mix in Ghee until well incorporated into the flour.
3. Add Warm Water slowly while kneading to form a dough ball. Knead for 4-5 minutes until smooth.
4. Drizzle a few drops of oil or ghee to coat the dough ball. Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
5. Knead the dough once again and divide into 3 to 4 portions.
6. Using all purpose flour for dusting, roll out each portion into a very thin disc that will fit on the bottom of a kadhai (dome shaped pan without handles that will burn).
7. Preheat Kadhai by placing it upside down on the stove. Once hot, spread a thin layer of oil on the surface.
8. Gently place the rolled out dough on the inverted pan.
9. Once bubbles appear, flip dough to the other side and continue cooking.
10. Use 2 clean cloths and gently press the dough and turn it as its cooking.
11. Once brown spots appear and dough looks cooked and crispy, remove it from the kadhai and place it on another inverted bowl to cool and crispen.
12. With a brush, spread Ghee on the entire inside surface of the bowl roti.
13. Sprinkle with Chaat Masala, Red Chili Powder and chopped Cilantro.
14. Serve immediately.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make karari roti, kurkuri roti, crispy roti, bar food, indian appetizers, khakara.