Sabudana Kheer is a simple yet delicious dessert that can be enjoyed during fasting (upvas). It is made with tapioca pearls, the starch from the cassava root. Much lighter and quicker to make than Rice Kheer, it is perfect for any palate!
Tapioca Pearls – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Milk – 4 cups
Sugar – 6 Tbsp or to taste
Saffron – pinch
Pista/Cashews – 1 to 2 Tbsp, chopped
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Soak Tapioca Pearls in 1/2 cup of Water for about 1 to 2 hours.
2. In a heavy bottom steel pot, boil 4 cups Milk.
3. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and continue to cook until milk reduces to desired consistency.
4. Add Saffron, Sugar, chopped Pista/Cashews and soaked Tapioca Pearls.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes and add Cardamom Powder.
6. Serve warm or chilled.