If you know what’s good for you, you’d be running to the kitchen to make this right away! I, for one LOVE Methi Leaves and cannot get enough of it, so finding new recipes is a moment of joy for me, seriously! Two power packed vegetables together, the Bottle Gourd and the Fenugreek Leaves,it does not get better than this.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Bottle gourd (Lauki/Doodhi/Ghiya) – 500gms (approx 1lb), peeled and cubed
Fenugreek Leaves (Methi Leaves) – 250gm (approx 1/2 lb), remove leaves, wash and chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds (Sabut Jira) – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2-3, broken and to taste
Salt – 1tbsp + 1/2 tsp or to taste
Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder) – 1.5 tsp
Tomato – 1, cubed
1. Prep all the vegetables.
2. Add 1tbsp of Salt to the leaves and mix to remove the bitterness. Set aside for 10 min.
3. In a pan/skillet, on medium flame, heat 1 tbsp of Oil.
4. Once hot, add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
5. Add into the pan the Dry Red Chillies and allow them to smoke.
6. Add in the Garlic and the Onions.
7. Cook till the Onions turn translucent.
8. Squeeze out the liquid from the Methi Leaves and add into the skillet. Discard the Liquid.
9. Cook for about 3-4 min till the Methi Leaves look a little dry.
10. Add in the cubed Lauki. Mix.
11. Add Salt and Coriander Powder and mix.
12. Sprinkle a little Water. Mix and Cover.
13. Cook for 10-12 min. Stirring every 2-3 min.
14. Cook till done. The Lauki should be tender but not mushy.
15. Add in the Tomatoes.
16. Give a final mix and turn off the flame. Serve hot.