Masala Dosa has been ranked as one of the “must-try” dishes amongst so many other well-known ones. And rightly so, it is this wonderful crepe-like long cylindrical dish that makes you ooh and aah and one bite of the dosa along with this scrumptious soft potato stuffing is such a perfect balance of flavors and textures. Enjoy this Masala with your Dosa and you’ll understand why it got the ranking that it did!
Prep Time: 30 min (including boiling potatoes)
Cook Time: 15 min
Makes stuffing for about 12 Dosas
Potatoes – 1.5lbs (approx 3/4 kg), boiled and peeled
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Hing / Asofoetida – 1/8th tsp
Turmeric Powder / Haldi – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – sprig
Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
Chopped Onion – 1/2, med.
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, chopped
1. Boil, peel and cube the Potatoes. Keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat Oil on a medium flame.
3. Once hot, add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
4. Add in Channa Dal and stir for 30 seconds.
5. Add in Urad Dal, Asofoetida, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Ginger and Green Chillies. Cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add in the Onions and cook till the Onions start getting translucent.
7. Pour the Water and add Salt. Taste the liquid to check salt. It should be a little intense.
8. Cover and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
9. Once the Water reaches a rolling boil, roughly crush the Potatoes either with your hands or with a masher and mix into the Liquid.
10. Add in the chopped Cilantro.
11. Mix and allow the Masala to reach the desired consistency.
12. Note, it will thicken a little over time. Take the pan off the flame.
13. It is ready for Dosa or just with Chapatis.