Seviya Kheer or Khir is one of the easiest desserts and very popular. Simple, sweet and quick to make…hmmm, can’t go wrong with that. A great variation to the Rice Kheer.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 25 min
Seviya/Vermicelli – 1/2 cup
Ghee/Clarified Butter – 1/2 tbsp
Milk – 6 cups
Sugar – 4 tbsp or to taste
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Almonds – 1 tbsp
Elaichi / Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Saffron – a pinch
1. Heat the Ghee/Clarified Butter in a pan on medium heat.
2. Roast the Seviya/Vermicelli in the Ghee.
3. Keep stirring till the Seviya changes color to a light golden.
4. Add Milk, mix and cover to allow it to come to a boil.
5. Once it reaches a boil, remove cover and reduce heat.
6. Stir frequently and allow it to reduce and thicken to the required consistency.
7. Add the dry fruits – Raisins & Almonds and the Saffron. Mix
8. Add in the Sugar and mix well.
9. Finally when ready, sprinkle Powdered Cardamom, mix and allow the flavors to infuse.
10. Searve hot or cold.
1. Stir the milk frequently, it tends to burn and overflow.
2. Substitute artificial sweeteners if your diet so requires.
3. Use Jaggery or Brown Sugar for a change.