This is a South Indian style of making beans, the green of the beans contrast with the white of the shredded coconut…very tasty, fresh-looking and easy, requires little prep time.
Green Beans – 16oz pkt, frozen, French-style
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilies (whole) – 2 or to taste
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta) – 1 sprig
Bengal Gram (Channa Daal) – 1 tbsp
Split Black Gram (Urad Daal) – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Shredded Coconut (frozen) – 1 tbsp
- In a wok, heat oil on medium to high heat.
- Add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to start spluttering.
- Add Dry Red Chilies, Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Bengal Gram Daal, Split Black Gram Daal, preferably in that order.
- This process has to be done fast and make sure you stir it so that it does not burn.
- Once the Bengal Daal starts to turn golden, add the the Green Beans and give it a good stir. Cover the pan with a tight lid and let it cook covered, stirring occasionally.
- Once the Green Beans have cooked, add salt and cook uncovered.
- Let the Green Beans dry out and remove from heat.
- Add the fresh shredded coconut and give it a final mix and serve hot.
- Do not add any water; the frozen Beans have enough moisture.
- While cooking covered, every time you open for stirring let the moisture from the lid back into the wok…so it cooks in its own water.
- Shredded Coconut (frozen) is readily available at any Indian Store, if you do not have access to any, make the dish without it and its just as good.
Watch and Learn!