Ever gone for groceries and been bored just looking at some of the vegetables? It’s okay, it happens to all of us, try this unripened Papaya Subzi or Curry and add a new and interesting dish to your usual dishes. The other good news is that Green Papayas are available all round the year and health-wise is great for you too, it is full of anti-oxidants, great for your digestion and immune system…enough reasons?
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Green Raw (Unripened) Papaya – 1 LB (approx 500 gm)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – to taste
Finely Chopped Onions – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Garlic Cloves – 4-5 large, roughly smashed
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder) – 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder) – 1.5 tsp
Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirchi) – to taste
Water – 1/2-3/4 cup or as needed
Chaas/Butter Milk/Lassi – 1/4 cup yogurt+3/4 cup water
Cilantro (Dhaniya Patta) – to garnish
1. Peal, remove and discard the seeds and cube the Papaya and keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat the Oil on medium heat.
3. Spoon in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in the Turmeric Powder and give it a quick mix.
4. If you like spicy, tear the Red Chilis and allow the seeds to flavor the Oil/
5. After that, add the Onions, Garlic and some Salt and allow the Onions to get translucent.
6. Once the Onions are turned translucent, add in the dry powders – Coriander, Cumin, Red Chili Powder.
7. Splash some water, mix and cook for couple of minutes.
8. Add in the Papaya, Salt and Water (1 cup) and mix.
9. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
10. Keep stirring in between and add additional Water if needed.
11. Once the Papaya is cooked and it is the consistency that you like.
12. Uncover, reduce flame to a simmer and add in the Chaas (Yogurt and Water mixture).
13. Mix well, check the Salt and spices and adjust if needed.
14. Allow the dish to heat up but don’t let it come to a boil else it will curdle.
15, Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve hot with Rice, Chapatis or Puris.
1. Unripened Papaya is edible, so the consistency and how much to cook is personal choice.
2. Add additional Chaas to make additional gravy/curry for the dish. Adjust spices accordingly.
3. Lactose-intolerant? Skip the Yogurt altogether or add use any dairy-free yogurt.
Other Green Papaya Dishes:
Also, try our Thai Green Papaya Salad, it is delicious!