Tortilla Soup is such a wonderful, wholesome soup. It is perfect to warm your heart and your stomach on the days when you need a little help. The different levels of flavor, the inviting colors and a whole-bodied look make it a perfect package.
Oil – 2 tbsp
Corn Tortillas – 2, chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – small bunch, finely chopped
Jalapenos – to taste, finely chopped
Onion – 1/2, chopped
Diced Tomatoes – 14oz can
Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Bay Leaf – 1
Stock/Broth – 2, 14oz can (vegetable, chicken or beef)
Mushrooms – 3 large, chopped
Zucchini – 1/4, sliced
Carrots – 1, matchsticks
Monterey Jack Cheese – garnish
Avocado – garnish
Tortilla Chips – garnish
1. In a open pot, heat the Oil on medium heat.
2. Once hot, add in the Garlic, Onions, Tortillas, Jalapenos and the Cilantro. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in Diced Tomatoes, Bay Leaf and Cumin Powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes after it comes to a boil.
4. Add in Salt and Stock, mix well.
5. Add in the vegetables – Carrots, Zucchini and Mushrooms.
6. Add in Red Chili Powder, mix well, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Garnish bowls with some Cheese and a slice of Avocado and some crushed Tortilla Chips.
– Serve with lime/lemon wedge for a little twist.