Keema (aka kheema or qeema) is a flavorful minced meat (beef or lamb) dish said to have originated in Persia but extremely popular in the Indian sub-continent. Other meats such as mutton, chicken or turkey can also be used in this recipe. Try this delicious version with matar or mutter (green peas). You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make.
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Black Cardamom – 1
Green Cardamom – 2
Whole Cloves – 2
Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
Ground (Minced) Meat – 1 pound, any variety
Frozen Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup or little more
Cilantro – finely chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
2. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom and Whole Cloves. Stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add Onions and a little salt, mix well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add Ginger and Garlic, mix well and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until Onions turn brown and oil starts to separate from the mixture.
5. Add Green Chilies and Tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir a few times in between.
6. Remove cover and continue to cook until oil starts to separate from the mixture again.
7. Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Cumin Powder. Mix well and switch off stove.
8. Add the above Masala to a pressure cooker and add washed and drained ground meat. Mix well and cook until the color of the meat starts to change.
9. Add water and salt, mix well, close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 1 whistle on medium heat.
10. After the first whistle sounds, reduce the flame to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes. More whistles may sound and that is OK.
11. Remove pressure cooker from heat and allow the pressure to go down before opening the lid.
12. Add Green Peas (cooked in the microwave for 1 minute with a little water) and Garam Masala and cook for 2-3 mintues.
13. Garnish with fresh Cilantro.
14. Serves 4
Tip: Save over half the cooking time with ready made masala. Watch our “How to make Masala (in Bulk)” video.