Chettinad Chicken Curry is known for the flavors, the spice and the aroma! Here is a fantastic recipe that promises to deliver in all aspects. The dish is very popular not just in the South of India but has made a place in a lot of homes and hearts all over the world. Give it a shot and you’ll see exactly what we mean. It is a dish that requires patience and love and a few steps but in the end, it’s so worth it.
Make this dish mild, medium or spicy, the flavors are amazing.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Chicken – 2.5lb, washed and cut to bite size
Masala for Grinding:
Cinnamon – 1.5″
Cloves – 4
Green Cardamom – 3
Dry Red Chili – 7-8 or to taste
Cumin Seeds – 1.5 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1.5 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Khus Khus/Poppy Seeds – 1 tbsp
Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup
Water for Grinding – 1/2 cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few sprigs
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Tomatoes – 2 large, chopped
Lime or Lemon Juice – to taste
Water – 2-3 cups or as needed
Coriander/Cilantro Leaves – for garnish
1. Dry roast on low heat – Cinnamon Stick, Cloves, Green Cardamom, Red Chillies, Cumin Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Coriander Seeds & Poppy Seeds.
2. Keep stirring till the seeds change color and there is a fantastic aroma.
3. Add in the the Coconut and again, stir till the coconut gets a color and looks dry and dehydrated.
4. Once done, transfer and allow it to cool.
5. Grind to a smooth paste using 1/2 cup of Water and keep aside till ready to use.
6. In a pan, heat the Oil on medium flame and once hot, add in the Onions.
7. Salt the Onions just a bit and cook till translucent.
8. Add in the Minced Ginger and Garlic, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Spice Paste and Red Chili Powder.
9. Cook for a minute.
10. Add in the Tomatoes, mix and cook uncovered till the oil separates from the mixture.
11. Add in the Chicken, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
12. Add Salt and a squeeze of Lime or Lemon and mix well again.
13. Add in Water for gravy as needed, mix and cover and cook for 20-25 minutes.
14. Once done, garnish with Cilantro just before serving.
15. Enjoy this dish with Rice, Chapatis, Naans, Parathas, Idlis or Dosas.