It’s mango season somewhere in the world! Cooking with mangoes and using them in unique ways just adds to the excitement for the die-hard Mango-lovers. Here we have used raw mango, mostly used in pickles, along with the mild Mung Daal so the focus is solely on the mango flavor. The two seasonings adds a different dimension and levels of flavor. Enjoy this dish with rice or with chapatis.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Raw Mangoes – 1.5 cups, washed, peeled and cubes
Mung Daal – 1 cup, washed and drained
Water – 3 cups
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1 cup or as needed
Ghee – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – optional
1. Wash the Mung Daal well and transfer to a pressure cooker.
2. To that add the cubed Mango pieces, Water and Salt. Mix.
3. Close the Pressure Cooker and cook for 1 whistle, turn off the flame and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Carefully, take it under the tap and pour some cold water to release the pressure.
5. Once it is safe, open the Pressure Cooker very carefully and stir.
6. In a wok-style pan, heat Oil on medium flame and add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
7. Add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to crackle and right after that add in the Turmeric Powder. Mix.
8. Quickly transfer the cooked Daal from the Pressure Cooker to the Pan.
9. Add in additional 1 cup Water, as needed, and allow the Daal to come to a good boil.
10. Reduce flame and allow the Daal to to a preferred consistency.
11. Transfer to a serving dish.
12. At the time of serving, in a small seasoning skillet, heat Ghee and allow it to reach a smoking point.
13. Turn off the flame and add in the Red Chilli Powder and the additional Turmeric Powder. Mix.
14. Pour over the Daal.
15. Sprinkle cut Green Chillies and serve hot.
1. Do not over cook else the mangoes will become a mash.
2. This Daal tastes even better the next day…so make an extra batch 🙂