Have you ever been in the mood for something wholesome and hearty? Try this delicious Moong Dal recipe made with whole green mung beans. There’s not a lot of spices or fuss involved with this protein packed bowl of goodness. Enjoy this Mung Daal with rice, chapati or just by itself as a soup — absolutely comforting!
Serves – 4
Whole Mung – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garlic Cloves – 4 large, roughly crushed
Ginger – 1/2 tbsp, grated
Curry Leaves – few leaves
Green Chillies – to taste, slit
Tomato – 1, med chopped
Cilantro – to taste
Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
1. Wash and soak Whole Green Mung beans for about 4 hours.
2. Drain the water out and rinse the beans.
3. Add Mung, 3 cups Water and Salt to a pressure cooker.
4. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove allowing pressure to go down by itself.
5. In a medium pot, heat Oil.
6. Add Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
7. Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Cook for 30 secs.
8. Add Tomatoes and cook for 1 minute to soften them.
9. Add cooked Mung to the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
10. Adjust salt and add Lime Juice.
11. Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves).