Coconut Chutney is a perfect accompaniment with Dosas, Idlis or Vadas- your meal cannot be complete without it! Try it and see how flavorful this awesome chutney can be…
Prep time: 15min
Cook time: 20 min
Shredded Coconut – 3 cups
Channa Daal – 1/2 cup
Ginger – 2″ pc
Green Chillies – to taste (slit)
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – small bunch
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Oil – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Cillies – 1-2
Urad Daal – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Tamarind – to taste
1. On medium heat, dry roast the Channa Daal till it changes color and gives out a wonderful aroma.
2. Transfer the Daal into a bowl with a little water. Allow it to soak.
3. Next dry roast the Coconut on medium heat, till it changes color and gives out a wonderful smell.
4. Once done, transfer into a blender.
5. Next to roast is the Ginger and the Green Chillies.
6. Cook for a few minutes, till they start caramelize. transfer to the blender once done.
7. After that, toss the Cilantro (leaves plus the stems) and it cook till they wilt.
8. Transfer into the blender.
9. Drain the Channa Daal and add into the blender.
10. Add Salt and Tamarind to taste.
11. Blend to desired consistency by adding Water.
12. Pour into a serving bowl.
13. In a small skillet, on medium heat, heat the Oil.
14. Once hot, add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to splutter.
15. Add in Asafoetida and Dry Red Chillies. Cook for 10 seconds.
16. Add in Urad Daal and cook till they change to a light golden color.
17. After that add in Curry Leaves, mix and turn off the stove.
18. Pour the seasoning over the chutney.
19. Serve with Dosas, Idli or Vadas.