Khandvi (Khandavi) is a popular snack item from the state of Gujarat, India. It’s unique soft texture and mild flavor makes is a favorite with kids and adults. Try this super fast microwave recipe for Khandvi and serve it as an appetizer for your next get-together.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes plus additional 20 minutes for spreading/rolling and seasoning.
Besan/Chickpea (Gram) Flour – 1 cup
Buttermilk – 2 cups (1 cup yogurt + 1 cup water)
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Salt – to taste
Oil – 4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Green Chillies – 2 (cut length wise)
Grated Coconut – 1 Tbsp
Cilantro (Coriander) – chopped for garnishing
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, mix Besan (Gram Flour), Yogurt, Turmeric Powder, Salt and Asofoetida.
2. Add Water and blend the mixture to a smooth (lump-free) paste.
3. Cook uncovered in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Remove from microwave and stir to break up any lumps.
5. Microwave again for 1 1/2 minutes and stir again.
6. Microwave for last 1 1/2 minutes and mix well. You may have to use a hand blender to remove any lumps.
7. Lay out Aluminum Foil in long sheets (approx 2 ft) on the counter top. (Tip – this step should be done while batter is cooking. Once the batter is out of the microwave, you have to work fast before it solidifies.)
8. Spoon batter along one edge of the foil and with a flat spatula, gently pull the batter down along the foil (spreading it thin). Once the foil is completely covered, start on the next piece of foil. Repeat until all batter is thinly spread.
9. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes and allow it to solidify.
10. With a sharp knife, cut long 1 to 1 1/2 inch strips in the solid batter.
11. Gently lift the edge and roll the strip into a tight roll. You can make the rolls as big as you like. If they get too thick, cut it off and start a new roll.
12. Repeat rolling and placing rolls on a platter.
13. Sprinkle Coconut and Cilantro (Coriander) over the Khandvi.
14. Heat Oil in a small skillet.
15. Add Mustard Seeds, allow them to pop.
16. Add Asofoetida, Green Chilies and switch off heat.
17. Sprinkle seasoning over the Khandvi.
18. Serve at room temperature.
If for any reason you don’t have or don’t want to use a microwave, here is Sheenal’s tip:
you can make that thing in pressure cooker.
1 cup Besan
2cups+ 2 table spoon water
and all other ingredients same as you
and put in pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
let it cool down for 15 to 20 min and once you open it spread it straight away.