Gujaratis are known for many things but one of the big things is the ever popular Undhiyu recipe. The name originates from the word “undhu” which means “upside down” in Gujarati. Traditionally, undhiyu is cooked in earthen clay pots which are turned upside down onto an open fire. Made with a mix of different vegetables and spices, undhiyu and puri are common items at wedding feasts. Enjoy the delicious medley of flavors of the long awaited….UNDHIYU!
Make Muthiya – click here for recipe and video
Deep fry Potatoes and Sweet Potato
Potatoes – 4 medium (peeled, cubed into 1″ pieces)
Sweet Potato – 1 large (peeled, cubed into 1″ pieces)
Lightly sprinkle salt over the potatoes immediately as they come out of the hot oil.
Cilantro – 1 small bunch, roughly chopped
Garlic – 5 large cloves
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, chopped
Green Chili – 1 or to taste
Lemon/Lime Juice – 2 Tbsp
Sugar – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1/2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Shredded Coconut – 1/4 cup
Grind above ingredients into a fine paste
Pressure Cook the following for 2 whistles:
Surti Papdi (or regular Papdi) – 3 cups, de-veined and split
Frozen Tuver Dana (Pigeon Peas) – 1 cup
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Ajwain (Carrom Seeds) – 1/4 tsp
Small Indian Eggplants – 12 (stems kept on with 2 slits in the shape of an “x”)
– Divide Chutney into 2 portions and reserve one portion.
– Stuff Eggplants with 1/2 of the chutney.
– Lightly grease a casserole dish with Oil and arrange stuffed Eggplants.
– Drizzle 1 Tbsp Oil over the top, cover and microwave the eggplants approx 8 minutes (5 minutes, gently turn, another 3 minutes)
Put it all together
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Ajwain (Carrom Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Coriander Powder – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 4 Tbsp (optional to garnish over top)
– Heat 3 Tbsp Oil in a large pan.
– Add Ajwain, Turmeric Powder and Asafoetida.
– Add reserved 1/2 chutney and cook for 30 seconds.
– Add cooked Papdi and Tuver along with the liquid.
– Add 1 cup Water and allow it to come to a boil.
– Add fried Potatoes, Sweet Potato and Muthiya. Mix well.
– Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala and adjust Salt if necessary. Mix well.
– Add Eggplants along with any liquid and mix gently.
– Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
– Optional: Heat 4 Tbsp Oil until just before it smokes and drizzle it over the top of the Undhiyu. Don’t mix.
– Mix gently just before serving.
– Optional: garnish with chopped onions, chutney or sev
– Serve with Puri