Soups always warm your hearts and your tummy and is the ultimate comfort food. Make this hearty Mushroom Soup as a full meal along with some Garlic Bread or as a side to meal. Either way, it’s bound to steal the show. Don’t like Mushrooms? No Problem, change out the Mushrooms for Broccoli, Asparagus or Brussels Sprouts and everyone’s happy.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Mushrooms – 1 lb, sliced (button and baby bellas)
Shallots – 2, sliced
Butter – 2 tbsp
Garlic – 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Clove Powder – 1/4 tsp
Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 to 2 tsp (or to taste)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 3 Tbsp
Vegetable or Chicken Stock – 7 cups
All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 Tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Red Chili Flakes – to taste (optional)
Half and Half/Milk – to taste
Black Pepper – to taste
1. In a wide skillet, melt Butter.
2. Add Shallots and allow them to lightly brown.
3. Add Mushrooms and saute them until moisture evaporates.
4. Add Garlic, Salt, Clove Powder and Italian Seasoning. Saute until Mushrooms lightly caramelize.
5. Turn off stove, add Lemon Juice and mix through. Remove Mushrooms into a separate bowl or plate.
6. In the same pan, heat Olive Oil on low heat.
7. Add All-Purpose Flour and keep mixing until flour changes color to light pink.
8. Slowly add Broth and keep whisking to ensure that lumps do not form. In case lumps form, you can use an immersion blender to break them down.
9. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
10. In a small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp of All-Purpose Flour with 1/4 Cold Water (make sure there are no lumps).
11. Slowly add the mixture into the broth while continuously mixing. Bring to a boil.
10. Add sauteed Mushrooms back into the broth and add Crushed Red Chili Flakes. Bring to a boil.
11. Add Half and Half to achieve desired richness.
12. Adjust salt, lemon juice and add Black Pepper to taste.