Though not a very commonly used vegetable in Indian cooking, Brussels Sprouts have a certain flavor that is so familiar! Yup, they look a miniature version of a cabbage and the taste is very close to it too. This wonderful and easy dish has got it’s health benefits as well: vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fiber. Try these cute Brussels sprouts!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20-25 min
Brussels Sprouts – 1 lb (approx 500 gm),quartered
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad Daal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Onion – 1 small (approx 150 g), finely chopped
Tomatoes – 1 med. ( approx 100g), chopped
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Tomato Sauce – 1/2 cup / 4 oz / 115g
Tamarind Paste – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
1. Heat Oil in a medium size pan on medium heat.
2. Once hot, add the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in Fenugreek Seeds and Urad Daal, mix and let the daal turn light golden in color.
4. Add in Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves and mix.
5. Right after that add in the Onions and Tomatoes and allow them to soften a bit.
6. Once they are soft, add in the Salt, Red Chili Powder and Sambar Powder and mix.
7. Add in the Tomato Sauce and the Tamarind Paste and allow it to come to a boil.
8. At this time you can also do the taste test.
9. Once the taste test is done, add in the Brussels Sprouts and mix well but gently.
10. Cover and allow them to cook stirring periodically.
11. While stirring if you feel that they are drying up and burning, sprinkle some water, mix, cover and cook.
12. The total cooking time varies because of the size of the pieces or the crop, it may take between 12- 20 minutes to cook.
13. Once done, take off the flame and serve hot.
1. Try to buy same size sprouts (goes for vegetable) so that there is even cooking.
2. Remove a layer of leaves from the top and wash before cutting.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to cook Brussels sprouts, Indian style Brussels sprouts recipe, high fiber vegetables, low carb Indian food, desi style brussel sprout recipe, healthy vegetables.