Avocado is not a fruit that we normally associate with Indian food…but try this Avocado Salad recipe and you will be really surprised. The colors, the texture and the aroma blend in so beautifully….it’s a treat with any meal.
Avocado – 1, ripe
Tomato – 1 med, diced
Green Onions – 3 stalks, finely chopped
Green Chili – 1 or to taste, finely chopped
Cilantro – 5 sprigs, finely chopped
Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
1. Peel and cut the Avocado into cubes and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the following well– Green Onions, Tomatoes, Cilantro, Cumin Powder, Black pepper powder, Green chilies.
3. Add in the Salt and Lemon/Lime Juice and mix again.
4. Gently mix in the diced Avocado, being very careful not to mash it.
5. Serves 4.
- If you have time, store in refrigerator for a half hour to chill and to let the onions and tomatoes marinate in the juices.
- The shelf life of a peeled avocado is not very good, so make sure you finish the salad in a day or so.
- If available, use cherry or grape tomatoes. They add to the color and hold up better in salads.
Watch and learn!