I had been making this Spinach and Carrots Pullao dish on the stove top for a long time when I saw a book on Microwave cooking…looks like someone had read my mind AND my prayers had been answered!! Wow! The results were amazing! Now, I make it more often and my family just loves this Pullao/Pullav/ Pulav. The best part…I don’t have to hover around the stove and after we have relished it, I have only 1 dish to clean. You gotta LOVE it!
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1/2 med, finely sliced
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Black Cardamom – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1″ pc.
Cloves – 1
Green Cardamom – 1
Bay Leaf – 1
Spinach – 1 bunch, chopped (2 cups packed)
Carrots – 2, grated
Water – 2 cups
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
- Wash and soak the Basmati Rice for at least 1/2 hour.
- In a microwave-safe dish which is at least 4″ deep and holds at least 4-5 cups, add Oil, Fennel Seeds, Onions, Big Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Bay Leaf and Cloves. Mix well.
- Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Add in the Chopped Spinach and the Grated Carrots. Mix well and microwave for another 3 minutes, uncovered.
- Drain the water from the soaked Rice and add it in the bowl.
- Add Salt, Red Chili Powder and 2 cups Water. Mix well and cook covered for 15 minutes, stirring and checking every 5 minutes.
- Let the Rice stand for a few minutes before you fluff it up with a fork.
- Serve hot with Raita, Yogurt and/or pickle. Serves 2.
- Every microwave is different so cooking time may vary.
- For a variation, try other vegetables.
- If you are uncomfortable using a microwave, the same method can also be used for the stovetop.
- For a Rice Cooker, follow the above steps 1-5 on stovetop and then transfer ingredients to the Rice Cooker and cook like regular rice.
Watch & learn: